- https://t.co/f691CK2077 7 months ago
- Please stop trying to reset my password. The second factor messages are pissing me off. 8 months ago
Raising little Westies, and life as parent of a special needs son
1. Dad might talk about me as though my life is all about one character. It isn’t; I’m interested in LOTS of things, some of them a lot more strongly than you might think anyone can be interested in anything.
2. I can talk. Give me a chance, give me room, give me something worth saying. Stop anticipating everhting I might ned, and I might shock you by asking for something.
3. I didn’t run off without telling anyone on purpose. I knew what I wanted, and where I was going. It just didn’t strike me as important to let anyone know first.
4. I don’t have a “soon” or a “next”; I honestly only have “right now.” If you tell me what’s coming up, expect me to get ready for it… right NOW… and be upset if we don’t start doing it straight away.
5. Which also means, if you don’t have something for me to do “right now” – I’m going to come up with something myself. Because I don’t just sit around “doing nothing.” You might need to plan for some time, for me to stop what I’m doing, and get ready to do what you want me to do.
6. I can do things. Things that might surprise you. I can climb, push, and solve problems that matter to me.
7. I don’t need medication. I need activity. LOTS of activity. Climbing, running, jumping, riding my bike, swimming, and jumping on a trampoline… I love all these things.
8. If I think we are supposed to be climbing, running, riding my bike, swimming, or jumping on a trampoline – and we aren’t – I will get upset. It’s mainly because I can’t talk to you about what I want to do, when I get overwhelmed by not doing it right now.
9. I am so clever! I am learning to read, do maths…. and talk… all at the same time! It is hard to learn to read words when you have never said that word before.
10. I don’t care what you have heard about autism, I do love my brother, sister, mother and father. And when it’s what I want, I love to be cuddled, and share my affection.
Written in October 2011.