December 29, 2012
Posted by on
For a while now I have been running Ubuntu on most of the equipment that I could. With the recent hard drive failure of my media server, and motherboard failure of Bec’s laptop, I have been down to just one desktop PC running Ubuntu.
And with me in Canberra, that one PC had gotten a fair bit out of date – I think it was running 11.10 (released October 2011) and getting annoying “your version is obsolete” messages for some time now.
So today I tried to update it. I tried from the GUI. I tried from the Command Line. Both attempts failed. I downloaded the software to a USB stick and installed it. I found that while I still had everybodys home folders, I had lost all the user accounts, so I had to recreate the user accounts, then modify them to match the user ID numbers which had access to the home folders.
Keeping the passsword file should be a pretty easy thing to script.
Manually fixing things when the password file had not been kept was harder than it should have been.
Working now; but not too happy about it.